Thursday, January 13, 2011

Legacy.

This devotion hit me hard, seeing as one of my dearest friends passed away last night in a terrible car accident.  When the author of this article quoted Isaiah 40:1, “Comfort, comfort my people, says your God” I knew this verse was for me at this very point in time.  My friend Heather was the most joyful person I've ever met.  You could not be around her without there being much laughter involved.  The joy in her life was contagious.  Her last Facebook status said, “don't just pretend to love others...really love them.”  Heather did just that.  She was an incredible example of Christ's love, and left a legacy that will never go unnoticed.  I want to have an impact on the lives of everyone I meet just as Heather did.  My duty here on earth is to shine the love of Christ so bright that people cant help but see Him when they see me.  People don't remember Heather for the way she dressed, the things she owned, or the car she drove.  They remember her for her exploding heart of joy, how she made everyone around her feel incredibly loved, and her passion for the Lord.  I want my life to reflect those same values.  This is one of the reasons why I want to be a teacher.  I not only want to educate and help my students with their struggles in school, but I want to show them the love of Christ in every way I possibly can.  I want my students to remember me for my character and love for them more so than how I graded their homework.  We are called to make disciples of all nations, and I intend on doing that by being a living example of Jesus Christ's unconditional love.  I'm reminded of a song by Nichole Nordeman titled “Legacy.”  The lyrics to the chorus say, “ I want to leave a legacy.  How will they remember me?  Did I choose to love?  Did I point to you enough to make a mark on things?  I want to leave an offering, a child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically, and leave that kind of legacy.”  These lyrics remind me to bless the Lord in ALL that I do.  I want to make a difference in the lives of others and impact them the way that Heather did for me.  I would not be the person I am today if it weren't for Heather's love, mentoring, and fellowship in my life, and I hope many others will say the same about me when I go to be with the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment